Planning Your Visit to Rabbit Run Inn
Rabbit Run Inn and its surroundings offer diverse opportunities for family exploration and recreation.
Though our “beach weather season” is June-end of August, the “off-season months” of November through May are spectacular as the seasons change during these months. Some family recreation destinations such as Hesston Steam Museum are open during specific weekends in the fall and early winter. Downtown St. Joseph, a twenty minute drive from the Inn, offers carriage rides, an indoor newly restored carousel and the exhibits of the Curious Kids Museums. In February, Berrien County is host to the Annual Kids’ Film Festival, now in its fifth year. Our recreational guides and guest privileges at the South Shore Health and Racquet Club, which are available to all guests at Rabbit Run Inn, can be tailored to accommodate families’ interests.
For help in planning your family’s visit, please ask!
For schedule and reservations contact Janet Schraeder, aka Sand Pirate at 269-405-5772, email@example.com and http://sandpirate.net/
www.thirdcoastsurfshop.com and 269-932-4575
www.outpostsports.com and 269-469-4210
Fossil and Rock “Combing”
At Warren Dunes State Park, click on “Warren Dunes State Park”:http://www.michigandnr.com/parksandtrails/
Cap’n Mikes in Bridgman, 5 minute drive from the Inn.
www.newbuffalosailing.com and 219-746-9252
The Great Outdoors
Rabbit Run Inn provides information which will make the family getaway rewarding and relaxing. At check-in, family guests receive a list of attractions and events in the area, specifically targeted to families. Please let us know the ages of your children so that we can provide more specific recommendations.
If you are traveling with babies and toddlers, we recommend that you bring your own pack n’ plays, high chairs, and booster seats as we have limited resources near the inn. If you need to rent children’s furnishings, we recommend Little Princess Treasures in nearby New Buffalo (www.littleprincesstreasures.com). Little Princess has a complete list of baby furnishings and they can deliver and pick up from the Inn. Call 269-586-2275 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Family Activities at Rabbit Run Inn
We provide adult bikes. You are welcome to bring yours and your children’s bikes; we can store them in the barn while you are visiting. Generally speaking, the best bicycling is east of Red Arrow Highway– less traffic, more scenery. We provide maps and information about the bike trails.
For rental, children’s bikes and infant bicycle seats are available in Three Oaks (ten minute drive), a good starting place for country road biking.
We provide beach toys, pails and shovels for children’s beach projects! Also, beach chairs and umbrellas are available for our guests and guest families.
Life at Frog Pond
If you would like a “narrated visit of Frog Pond” please let us know. We love showing children the various creatures in the pond and the nearby woods. We have fish food for the koi and frogs which we share with our guests.
Families Activities beyond Rabbit Run Inn
If you would like a more in-depth look at Michigan wildlife and plants, the following web sites which can offer information and maps for planning a visit:
Fernwood Botanical Gardens
Buchanan, Michigan (a twenty minute drive from the Inn)
Boyle Lake State Wildlife Area
Sarett Nature Center
Benton Harbor, Michigan (a twenty minute drive from the Inn)
Warren Dunes State Park
Consult the Park Calendar for nature and fossil-gathering events
Chikaming Open Lands
Lakeside (sponsors nature walks, volunteer activities, canoeing treks)
Berrien County Parks
All within a half-hour’s drive of the Inn; consult for posting of events.
birding info, maps and directions
Chikaming Township Parks and Nature Preserves
Several within ten minute drive of the Inn; consult for directions, events, maps
Area Attractions for Families
Chikaming Township Playground
Red Arrow Highway, Harbert (3 minutes from the Inn)
Swings, climbing wall, play/climb areas (ages 3-9)
Harbert (5 minutes by car; parking pass required on weekends)
Warren Dunes State Park
Sawyer (3 minutes by car; $7 daily parking fee)
Bridgman (10 minutes by car; $5 daily parking fee)
St. Joseph (20 minutes by car; paid parking – varies by length of stay) http://www.berriencounty.org/Parks/SilverBeach
RECOMMENDED PARKS AND NATURE CENTERS WHICH ARE CHILD-FRIENDLY
- Sarett Nature Center (butterfly house!) www.sarett.com/
- Love Creek County Park (great event calendar) http://www.berriencounty.org/Parks/LoveCreek
- Fernwood Botanical Garden (outdoor train display!) www.fernwoodbotanical.org
CHILDREN’S MUSEUMS AND PLAY PARKS
- Cap’n Mikes, Bridgman (ages 5+: go-karts, game room)
- Curious Kids Museum, St. Joseph (lots of fun for ages 5-12; science displays)
- Discovery Zone and Carousel, St. Joseph (lots of fun for ages 2 -7, and a full-size carousel )
- Silver Beach Children’s Play Area and splash fountain, St. Joseph (all ages)
- Hesston Steam Museum, Hesston, Indiana (thirty minutes from the Inn; various train rides for all ages)
Suggestions for dining places suitable for families with children:
- Red Arrow Roadhouse, Union Pier (five minute drive from the Inn)
- Silver Beach Pizza, St. Joseph (twenty minutes from the Inn; worth the drive!)
- Redamak’s, New Buffalo (“bite into a legend”: only fifteen minutes from the Inn)
ANNUAL FAMILY EVENTS
- “Great Migration”: April 15 through Memorial Day. Various spring birding events and group outings. For all ages.
- Flag Day in Three Oaks: “longest flag day parade”; village events all weekend.
- July 4th Village Celebrations: in New Buffalo, Three Oaks and on the bluff in St. Joseph
- Berrien County Youth Fair, Berrien Springs, August. Fun for all ages. Rides, fair food and best of all, youth equestrian events and farming competitions
- Apple Cider Century Bicycle Tour: usually the last weekend in September. Country roads make way for this family-oriented bicycle tour throughout Harbor Country.
- Labor Day Weekend, Hesston Steam Museum. All steam engines and a steam-drive wood mill on display. Don’t miss the blacksmith demos!
- Harvest Days, Harbor Country and surrounding farms, October
- Halloween “Ghost Train”, Hesston Steam Museum
- Santa Express, Hesston Steam Museum, December
- Village Holiday Celebrations, December: Reindog Parades in New Buffalo and St. Joseph; cut-your-own xmas tree farms; family holiday craft events
(inquire about our family holiday event schedule)
FAMILY ACTIVITY RESOURCES
- Children’s and Adult Bike Rentals, Kids Bicycle Seats
Dewey Cannon Trading Company, Three Oaks
- Kayak and Surf Board Rentals
Third Coast Sports, New Buffalo and St. Joseph
also at Warren Dunes State Park and Weko Beaches; Galien River at New Buffalo landing on Red Arrow Highway
- Children’s Furnishings: cribs, pack n’ play, high chairs etc. Little Princess Treasures in nearby New Buffalo (www.littleprincesstreasures.com).Call 269-586-2275 or email email@example.com.